Watch It Fly!
Create a Plane Using Straws and Paper!
Straw, heavy paper, scissors, rubber bands, 5-cent coin, and tape
- Cut the paper into two strips about 1 inch wide. Cut it on the long end so your strips are 11 inches long.
- Now that you have two 1-inch by 11-inch strips, cut one to be 5-6 inches long. Round the corners on the short length of paper. Fold each end in about 3/4 inch from the end.
- On the longer strip, round the corners but make two of the corners on the same side of the paper elongated so they look vaguely like bird wings. Now roll the tips of the “wings” inward (you can roll the paper over a large marker to help).
- Fix your wings to the plastic drinking straw. The long wings should be back from the nose of your plane about 1 1/2 inches. Use tape or for added durable use small rubber bands to hold in place.
- Repeat with the shorter wings, placing them at the other end of the straw just about 1/2 or 3/4-inch from the end.
- Now add weight to the nose of the plane.
- Practise flying your new plane!